As the heartbeat of Food For Thought Outreach, here is an update to what our Backpack Program currently provides. Each week, students who are on a free and reduced meal plan at school, receive a backpack of food to bridge the hunger gap they face over the weekend at home.
Food For Thought Fun Facts:
- 33rd school added during the 2018/29 school year
- (this program began with one school just 10 years ago!)
- 3,300 Students are served each week in two counties
- 40K food items are purchased and distributed every week
- 250 volunteers are needed every week to fill the backpacks
In order to fill the backpacks with 10 food items for these students, it takes $5 per student, per week, as well as volunteers to pack and deliver these backpacks to schools across Okaloosa and Walton Counties.
We are very proud of how this program has evolved over the last ten years and excited to see how the backpack program will continue to grow to serve more families in need in our community.
Learn more today to volunteer or donate at: www.fftfl.org